What are five things you love about where you live and five things that you hate? How does it compare to previous places you've lived?
It's funny; I was in the shower thinking about what 'home' means to me, and the places I've lived. I've only lived for any lengthy period of time in four states, each for different reasons at at different phases of my life, but there is only one places I truly feel at home.
That being said, I'll answer the prompt. I currently live in Portland, OR.
Things I Love:
1. The public transportation system is amazing.
2. Amazing restaurants.
3. The green, environmentally-friendly atmosphere.
4. Great places to visit and tour - Pittock Mansion, The Grotto, etc etc
5. It's on the coast-- easy access to the ocean.
(6. EVERYONE is so friendly! No Seattle Freeze, here!)
Things I Hate:
1. Transients! They're everywhere! Being harassed in line at VooDoo, and various other cool places downtown, is not okay!
2. Hipsters. They are also everywhere, and their vest/white undershirt/fedora looks are getting old. I know it's a silly thing to dislike, but really. If I wanted that I'd move back to Seattle.
3... I think that's it.
Generally, I love Portland. I guess the only annoying things are the hipsters and the bums, so two things to dislike isn't bad.
However, I like Seattle much more. I think I tend to favor Seattle because it's familiar, and I'm more or less established there... though I am becoming more established in Portland than I ever was in Seattle. I supppose we gravitate towards and tend to favor what we know, though. In a way, Seattle will always be 'home'.